Saturday, October 11, 2008

Troublemaker - Weezer 2008 Tour


As you can see from my post below, I went to the Weezer show last week, and I have to say that it was out of this world! I've actually seen Weezer in the past, so initially I was actually a little more excited to see Angels & Airwaves live. Unfortunately after about 3 A&A songs, I was ready for Weezer to take the stage. Now don't get me wrong, A&A put on a decent live show, musically they sounded good although all the music sounded the same... One major drawback was that Tom DeLonge just couldn't seem to figure out how to sing live. Well, that and when he decided to talk between songs, he used as many explicative as a Blink 182 track... I thought I read somewhere that he left Blink and started A&A because he wanted to produce something he could show to his kids and be proud of... Let’s hope Tom Jr. never see's his dads live act. Since I love to grade things, I'd give their show a B-. It was fun, but I wouldn't pay $20 to see them again. They're a decent opening act, but I don't see them headlining anytime soon.

Now on to Weezer... To start, I just have to say that marriage is the best thing that could have ever happen to Rivers Cuomo. In the past, he's been the kind of lead singer that talks little if ever between tracks, and stands in the same spot the entire show. Now this isn't to say that they didn't put on a great sounding show, the band just lacked the energy of many other acts. Well, as of the Troublemaker Tour this has all changed. Rivers gave a few of the other guys a chance at lead vocals, or lead guitar in that matter so he could move all over the place. Additionally, he was incredibly funny between tracks. One particular memorable moment happened during the intro to Troublemaker in which he told a story about he and his daughter at the Childerens Museum of SLC. Anyway, enough rambling, lets talk music.

The show started the same way the Weezer catalogue started, with the classic My Name is Jonas, this classic track was followed by Pink Triangle. Being a huge fan of both the Blue and Pinkerton, the show at this point had already exceeded all of my expectations! Pink Triangle live is a concert moment I will never forget. The band cranked out nearly two hours of classics old and new, including: The Sweater Song, El Scorcho, Buddy Holly, The Greatest Man That Ever Lived, King, Island in the Sun, Beverly Hills, Perfect Situation, Suzanne, Dope Nose, and many others that I'm sure I'm forgetting. They also had a few random covers from I believe Oasis and Nirvana. In the end it was a musical night to remember. It was hands down the best sounding, and most entertaining I have ever seen Weezer, and I highly, highly, highly recommend everyone go see them if they come through your town! I give this show an A... No, make that an A+!

-Tim

Addendum #1

So yeah, I did miss a few tracks, here is a set list I found online.

1. My Name Is Jonas
2. Pink Triangle
3. Perfect Situation
4. Say It Ain't So
5. Susanne
6. Keep Fishin'
7. King
8. Undone
9. Pork and Beans
10. Dreamin'
11. Dope Nose
12. Troublemaker
13. Automatic
14. Hash Pipe
15. El Scorcho
16. Morning Glory
17. Greatest Man
---------------------------

18. Island in the Sun
19. Beverly Hills
'---------------------------

20. Heart Songs vinyl into Sliver
21. Buddy Holly

No comments: